DISTRICT MEETING – PUBLIC HEARING
Regional School District No. 13
Towns of Durham and Middlefield
April 3, 2019
The electors and citizens qualified to vote in town meetings of the Towns of Durham and Middlefield are hereby warned that a district meeting of Regional School District No. 13 will be held in the Robert O. Mason Library of Coginchaug Regional High School, 135 Pickett Lane in Durham, Connecticut, on Wednesday, April 3, 2019 at 7:30 P.M. for the purpose of conducting a public hearing on the following recommendations of the Board of Education:
- That $6,900,000 be for costs related to the design, construction and implementation of various capital improvements to District schools, facilities and property, contemplated to include:
- On the Coginchaug Regional High School/Frank W. Strong Middle School campus, resurfacing of all or portions of Pickett Lane and replacement of the Pickett Lane culvert near the former Francis Korn Elementary School;
- At Coginchaug Regional High School, installation of a water line connection and sprinkler system, ADA upgrades to the auditorium and parking lot, and conversion of the heating system boiler from oil to natural gas;
- At Frank W. Strong Middle School, conversion of the heating system boiler from oil to natural gas;
- At Memorial Middle School, upgrades to the heating, air conditioning and ventilation systems including conversion from steam to hot water heating, replacement of the building automation system, lighting upgrades, and replacement of all or portions of the media center and the cafeteria roofs;
- At Frederick F. Brewster Elementary School, upgrades to the heating, air conditioning and ventilation systems including replacement of boilers, upgrades to the building automatic systems, an electrical equipment preventative maintenance thermal scan, installation of a sprinkler system, replacement of exterior doors, investigation of septic system, and installation of an emergency generator; and
- related work and improvements.
- The appropriation may be spent for design, demolition, installation and construction costs, equipment, materials, testing costs, disposal costs, architects’ fees, engineering fees, construction management costs and fees, grant application and management costs, legal fees, net interest on borrowings, other financing costs, and other expenses related to the projects. The Regional School District 13 Building Committee, established by the District Board of Education as the building committee for each of the projects, shall be authorized to determine the scope and particulars of each of the projects, and may reduce or modify the scope of each of the projects as desirable, and the entire appropriation may be spent on the projects as so reduced or modified. The District anticipates receiving grants from the State of Connecticut for a portion of the eligible costs of various of the projects to defray in part the appropriation.
- That $6,900,000 bonds and temporary notes of the District be authorized to finance the appropriation. The amount of the bonds authorized shall be reduced by the amount of grants received by the District for the projects.
- That the Chairman of the District Board of Education and the District Treasurer, or such officer or body delegated by the Board, be authorized to require the District and its member towns to comply with applicable federal income tax requirements for tax-exempt bonds.
- That the Chairman of the District Board of Education and the District Treasurer, or such officer or body delegated by the Board, be authorized to make representations and enter into written agreements for the benefit of holders of the bonds or notes to provide secondary market disclosure information.
- That the Regional School District 13 Building Committee be authorized to contract with architects, engineers, contractors and others in the name and on behalf of the District with respect to the projects, to approve design and construction expenditures for the projects, and to exercise such other powers as are necessary or appropriate to complete the projects.
- That the aforesaid bond, note and temporary note authorization shall be submitted to referendum vote by the electors and citizens qualified to vote in the towns of the District.
Dated at Durham, Connecticut this 27th day of March, 2019.
Robert E. Moore, Chairman
Board of Education
Regional School District No. 13