- Board & Commissions
- Zoning Board of Appeals
Zoning Board of Appeals
- 7 pm
- Middlefield Community Center
405 Main Street
Agendas and Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
- (U) Christopher M. Champagne (Chair) May 1, 2017 to April 30, 2022 2 of 3
- (D) Peter T. Neidhardt May 1, 2017 to April 30, 2022
- (R) David M. Glueck (Secretary) May 1, 2018 to April 30, 2023 3 of 3
- (U) Michael A. Janis May 1, 2017 to April 30, 2022 1 of 3
- (D) Charles Augur May 1, 2017 to April 30, 2025 1 of 3
- (D) Michael Olszewski May 1, 2020o April 30, 2025 ALT
- Vacancy May 1, 2018 to April 30, 2023 ALT
- Vacancy May 1, 2020 to April 30, 2026 ALT
Under Connecticut law, any municipality having a Zoning Commission must also have a Zoning Board of Appeals. The authority of the Board is set forth in General Statutes § 8-5 et seq., and the Middlefield Zoning Regulations contain corresponding provisions. The essential purpose of a zoning board of appeals is to provide elasticity to otherwise rigid zoning enactments, so as to prevent arbitrary or unconstitutional application thereof. In short, if strict enforcement of a particular zoning regulation results in harsh application to a property owner, the Zoning Board of Appeals is the forum to seek redress.
Accordingly, the Board's primary function is to consider requests to vary the application of the Middlefield Zoning Regulations. That task requires the Board to evaluate whether an applicant demonstrates undue hardship peculiarly affecting the property in question, as well as whether the variance sought is in harmony with the general purpose and intent of the comprehensive zoning plan. In so doing, the Board affords due consideration for conserving the public health, safety, convenience, welfare and property values. In addition, the Board entertains appeals from the orders, requirements and decisions of the Zoning Enforcement Officer. The Board also acts on special permits where required by the Middlefield Zoning Regulations, and decides certain location approvals as mandated by state law.
The Zoning Board of Appeals has three primary functions:
- Hear and decide applications for variance from Middlefield zoning regulations.
- Hear and decide appeals of decisions by the Middlefield Zoning Enforcement Officer.
- Hear and decide the location of automotive repair facilities and gasoline stations.